Whether you’re looking for a romantic spot, some well deserved rest and relaxation or somewhere fun to take your family and friends, there are plenty of fantastic destinations you can visit around New South Wales.
Here’s a quick look at some beautiful and unique spots worth considering for your next weekend away.
Head to beautiful Berry
Located 145km south of Sydney in the Shoalhaven region, Berry is a village famous for its natural surrounds, sweeping mountains, organic produce and laid back atmosphere.
The Famous Berry Donut Van is an institution in Berry. They’ve been serving piping hot cinnamon donuts for over 55 years, it’s the ideal spot for a sugary and delicious treat or two.
There are several boutique stores in Berry to keep you busy as well. You’ll find independent arts and crafts, beauty products and homeware stores alongside one another, all centrally located down Queen street.
- Getting there: From Central Station take the South Coast line to Kiama via Wolli Creek (17 stops). Change at Kiama Station and travel 2 stops to Berry Station. Total travel time is approximately 2hrs 30min
- More info: berry.org.au
Visit cosy Katoomba
Famous for its stunning views of the Three Sisters from Echo Point, Katoomba is just 90 minutes from the Sydney CBD. But it’s not just beautiful vistas and sweeping mountain ranges…
The iconic Carrington Hotel is located a short walk from Katoomba Station. This heritage-listed hotel is a reminder of the elegance and charm of a bygone era.
Due to its central location and numerous facilities (it’s home to a day spa, brasserie, billiards room and grand dining room) it’s the ideal spot for some rest and recreation. It’s also just a stroll from some of Katoomba’s most popular shops, cafes and art galleries.
- Getting there: From Central Station take the Blue Mountains Line for 20 stops to Katoomba Station. Total travel time is approximately 1 hour 58 minutes.
- More info: visitnsw.com/katoomba
Experience the picturesque Palm Beach
Just 41km from the Sydney CBD in the Northern Beaches is the stunning Palm Beach.
Located at the very end of the peninsula, a trip to the Barrenjoey Lighthouse offers some of the best views in the area. Built in 1881, the 66ft tall lighthouse is now a heritage-listed building with its original stone facade still in tact.
If you’re planning on visiting Palm Beach during May or September, it’s a good idea to pack your binoculars because it’s prime whale watching season. There are plenty of waterside restaurants and cafes, while several operators offer romantic cruises and ferry rides.
Another option is to simply kick back, join the locals by taking it easy and relaxing on the golden sands and shady pine trees.
- Getting there: Catch bus route B1 Mona Vale from Wynyard Station Carrington Street. After 9 stops, hop off at the Mona Vale B-Line bus stop on Barrenjoey Road. Take the B199 Palm Beach bus for 38 stops and hop off on Florida Rd at Ocean Place. It’s then a 900m walk to Palm Beach. Total travel time is approximately 2 hours 5 minutes.
- More info: sydney.com/palm-beach
Unwind in Kiama
The quiet coastal town of Kiama (located 120km south of Sydney) is a great spot to unwind and enjoy some ocean views.
One of its most famous landmarks is the Kiama Blowhole, where under certain conditions, water shoots high into the sky. The natural wonder is the result of compressed air within an underground cavity forcing the water upwards.
The Kiama Seaside Markets are also worth a visit. They’re the biggest in the region and are held at Black Beach on the 3rd Sunday of each month. Here you’ll find locally sourced food, hand-made arts and crafts, food stalls and fun rides for the family.
If you’re after a healthy breakfast, a hearty lunch or a delicious dinner you’ll find plenty of options available in Kiama. There are over 30 cafes in the area to choose from, including a wide array of restaurants serving all kinds of tasty cuisines.
- Getting there: From Central Station take the South Coast Line direct to Kiama Station (17 stops). Total travel time is approximately 2 hours 13 minutes.
- More info: visitnsw.com/kiama
Plan your next getaway
There are several ways to plan your next getaway in New South Wales using public transport.
These handy travel apps are available for both iPhone and Android smartphones. Each uses real-time data to give you up to the minute travel information at your fingertips.
Plus you can always use our Trip Planner tool below to see the different routes and services available to you.